Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Finger Sandwich - Avocado & Strawberry

I am fond of the concept of an English tea party. Sipping tea with scones and finger sandwiches in a relaxed environment is such a treat.  I like finger sandwiches as they are very simple to put together. It is obvious that the bread and ingredients need to be fresh and tasty to enjoy these delicacies.

 I attended a fund raising event with the theme of English tea party couple of years back and had lots of fun.  About 10-15 tables were arranged by volunteer's who brought tea sets and plates from their own collection. Everything looked so darn pretty. Here are two pictures from the party:






Often I make finger sandwiches as they are easy to make and find them perfect for a quick snack or breakfast. Cucumber and butter is a classic combination for finger sandwiches. However, my two favorites are avocado sandwich and strawberry sandwich. I would like to share my way of making them today.



Avocado sandwich:



My all time favorite is avocado. This is not traditionally a finger sandwich but I just love it because of avocado.

1 large slice wheat or white bread (Toasted - I like mine toasted but you can use the bread as is)
1/2 avocado
1 tbsp olive oil
good quality sea salt to sprinkle over avocado

- Slice the bread into half  (diagonally)
- Arrange thin slices of avocado on the bread (based on how much time you have u can do this step quickly or take your own sweet time in first slicing and then arranging them)
- Sprinkle olive oil and salt over avocado
- Place the other half of the bread over top of the avocado
- If your bread is large, you can further cut this sandwich into half to make two small sandwiches or just eat one large sandwich. Great for breakfast or quick snack.

Strawberry Sandwich:
1 large slice wheat or white bread (Toasted - I like mine toasted but you can use the bread as is)
4-5 strawberries sliced (based on your bread size and your taste)
1-2 tsp of crystal brown sugar (optional)
2-3 tablespoon of almond butter (I get freshly ground almond butter from whole foods)  or Philadelphia Cream Cheese

- Slice the bread into half diagonally
- Apply generous amount of almond butter or cream cheese one of the slice
- Arrange thin slices of strawberries on the bread
- Sprinkle with sugar (I sometimes avoid it as almond butter and strawberry both are sweet. With cream cheese I usually sprinkle with sugar)
- Place the other half of the bread over top (you can also apply butter or cream cheese on the inside of both the slices - I usually apply a good chunk on just one bread)
- If your bread is large, you can further cut this sandwich into half to make two small sandwiches or just eat one large sandwich. Great for breakfast or quick snack.

No comments: